Re: [xsl] Using !ENTITY to include html

Subject: Re: [xsl] Using !ENTITY to include html
From: "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 10:24:38 -0400
[dante]

> I've been trying to use the following code in the beginning of my XSL to
add
> some html to my output document:
> <xsl:template match="/">
>         <head>
>              <title>&title;</title>
> etc.

If you are trying to insert snippits of text into the result, you are better
off using document().  For example, you could put the title into an
***xml*** file like this:

File resources.xml:

<resources>
    <title>This is My Best Work</title>
<!--=== Typically you'd have other data here too ===-->
</resources>

Then in the stylesheet:

<xsl:variable name='resources' select='document("resources.xml")/>

<xsl:template match="/">
         <head>
              <title><xsl:value-of select='$resources/title'/></title>
 etc.

If you want to insert a whole branch of a tree, use <xsl:copy-of
select='$resources/theBranch'/>

This way is more robust for use with xslt, and is a lot more flexible than
defining entities for everything.

Cheers,

Tom P