[xsl] Iterating through a subset of the available nodes

Subject: [xsl] Iterating through a subset of the available nodes
From: "Steve Bruce" <snslinn9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 13:59:53 -0500
I am attempting to create a top ten list from a list of 10 or more items.
In my example, I have the following XML:

<acct acct_id="2601956" mkt_val="100">
    <dtl col_id="1">ABC</dtl>
    <dtl col_id="2">100</dtl>

</acct>

This block is repeated numerous times with different values.  For my output,
I want to create a top ten list for a specific account that is sorted by
mkt_val.  It would look something like:

ABC    100

And, so on...

My first pass at solving this, I tried the code below:

<xsl:variable name="acct_id" select="2601956"/>
<xsl:for-each select="//acct[@acct_id=$acct_id]">
<xsl:variable name="mkt_val" select="@mkt_val"/>
<xsl:sort select="@mkt_val" data-type="number" order="descending"/>
<xsl:call-template name="top10">
      <xsl:with-param name="times" select="10"/>
</xsl:call-template>

</xsl:for-each>

<xsl:template name="top10">

 <xsl:param name="times"/>
 <xsl:if test="$times > 0">

select="format-number(./dtl[@col_id=2],'###,###,###,###,##0.00')"/></td>

 <xsl:call-template name="top10">
      <xsl:with-param name="times" select="$times - 1"/>
 </xsl:call-template>

 </xsl:if>

</xsl:template>

Of course, this doesn't work.  In this scenario, I receive all the
//acct/dtl rows 10 times.  Do you know how I can iterate through these nodes
just 10 times returning only the top ten sorted values?

Thanks,
Steve