[xsl] Re: Top Ten Java and XSLT Tips, #5

Subject: [xsl] Re: Top Ten Java and XSLT Tips, #5
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 09:07:08 -0700 (PDT)
Thomas B. Passin wrote:

> It works fine.  If &#160; doesn't work for some browser, then the main
> alternative to disable-output-escaping is to declare an entity for &nbsp; in
> the stylesheet.

But how do you define this entity -- as &#160; ? Or as what value???

The former is meaningless, because it has exactly the same effect as using the
numerical character reference straight into your code.

This is why I'm quite puzzled -- what other substitute for &#160; are you using?

> This is living dangerously, though, because some processors
> will insist on validating the document if there are any DTD declarations in
> it.  This won't work unless you include a DTD for the entire xslt
> stylesheet - very annoying.  I have this situation using XML Cooktop and the
> Microsoft processor.
>
> Anyone know what browsers can't understand &#160;?

Can you point out any browser, which "can't understand &#160;" ?

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev.