RE: [xsl] Fast Processor XSLt

Subject: RE: [xsl] Fast Processor XSLt
From: "Eugene Kuznetsov" <eugene@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 11:27:54 -0400
Michael Kay [mailto:mhkay@xxxxxxxxxxxx] :
> > I use the MSXML processor XSLt, and my applications have
> > occupy many time to
> > transform.
> > Someone know a processor XSLt most fast to run in local
> > Windows platform (not Web)?
> >

> I suggest you look at your stylesheets to work out why they are slow. It's
> very unlikely you will solve your performance problems by switching to a
> different processor. It's much more likely that you can solve the problems
> by changing your code.

I think it really depends on the application -- in a commercial setting,
it is much cheaper to switch to a high-speed XSLT engine than to consume
developer time to rewrite stylesheets or, worse, add non-portable
extensions to get around an XSLT interpreter's performance problems.
In a non-profit or hobby setting, where spending money is not possible,
hand-optimization is obviously the only option. (Mike had a list of XSLT
performance hints, but my link seems broken; there have also been some
more specific fixes on this list). Maybe you could post your XSL?

And yes, given MSXML's speed advantages, it is probably true that
switching to another free XSLT interpreter is unlikely to help. (But not
impossible -- some engines do have non-uniform performance for different
kinds of processing).

\\ Eugene Kuznetsov
\\ eugene@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
\\ DataPower Technology, Inc.