Re: [xsl] SAXON and UTF-8

Subject: Re: [xsl] SAXON and UTF-8
From: "Gustaf Liljegren" <gustaf.liljegren@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:15:24 +0200
Thanks Mike,

> This message suggests that there's no problem with your UTF-8, but
> there is a problem with your XML. Without seeing the file, I can't
> tell you what the problem is.

The original document was too large to quote, but here's an example that
triggers the same error in SAXON:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<a>ä</a>

The file is called "a.xml" and I intend to store it in UTF-8, so there's no
need to declare the use of Latin 1. Here's the stylesheet:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
version="1.0">
  <xsl:template match="a">
    <b><xsl:value-of select="."/></b>
  </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

This is the result when I save a.xml in "Unicode" format:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><b>ä</b>

As expected, but why is the encoding declaration added?

When saving a.xml in "UTF-8" I get the same error as before:

E:\test>saxon a.xml a.xsl > b.xml
Fatal error reported by XML parser: required character (found "?") (expected
"<"
)
  Line:   1
  Column: 5
Error
  required character (found "?") (expected "<")
Transformation failed

EditPlus seem to inherit the UTF-8 and Unicode functionality from the
Windows API, so therefore I get the same error when saving as UTF-8 in
Notepad in Windows 2000.

Regards,

Gustaf Liljegren