Re: [xsl] Element Declaration -- ANY

Subject: Re: [xsl] Element Declaration -- ANY
From: "t l" <tlvk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 14:37:05 +0000

Hi Jörg,

Sorry 'myAtt' should be 'Number'. The element with the attribute 'Number' works... but the element without setting the attribute get error.

Thanks.
Theresa

ps. I Apologize if I posted in the wrong list... I'm new, and don't really know where else to go...

> In myDtd.DTD I have declared an element as such > > <!ELEMENT MyElement ANY> > <!ATTLIST MyElement > Number CDATA #IMPLIED> > > In myXml.XML : > > <MyElement myAtt="1"> > This one of Attribute...works fine. > </MyElement> > > <MyElement> > This one does not have Attribute... I got error: > This file is not valid: > Text not allowed inside element 'MyElement'. > </MyElement> > > ----------- > Why do I get an error for the 2nd element? shouldn't ANY support parsed > character data?

My thoughts tell me that it should support PCDATA. But in the spec there is
nothing written about PCDATA in ANY
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xml-20001006#sec-logical-struct, last line, 1
line above 3.1.). But if not with ANY how should it be written if PCDATA and
ANY are allowed?

<!ELEMENT test (#PCDATA | ANY)*> won't work.

> And how come I only get error for the one WITHOUT an Attribute?

That's right. You set the attribute 'Number' to #IMPLIED, not to #REQUIRED.
But the Parser should give you an error about the attribute 'myAtt', which
is not declared.

Joerg