[xsl] Re: Re: "*|@*|text()" vs. "node()"

Subject: [xsl] Re: Re: "*|@*|text()" vs. "node()"
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 07:06:47 -0700 (PDT)
> Then look under patterns and you find the XSLT definition of the node()
> test:
>
> 	node() matches any node other than an attribute node and the root node
>
> which is slightly confusing since the XPath spec defines it as:
>
> 	A node test node() is true for any node of any type whatsoever.

The confusion is because they omitted a necessary clarification:

"A node test node() is true for any node of any type whatsoever for the ***given
axis***"

so:

ancestor::node() will return the root node as one of the nodes in the resulting
node-set.

attribute::node() will return all attribute nodes of the current (element) node.

namespace::node() will return all the namespace nodes of the current (element) node.

node() will return all element, PI, comment, text children of the current node.

Therefore, we have tests for all types of nodes.

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev.