Re: [xsl] A Counter Variable in XSLT?

Subject: Re: [xsl] A Counter Variable in XSLT?
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 15:35:12 +0100
   What I want to do:

   My stylesheet consists of one template rule.  When there is a
   match, I want a line in the output  to say, for example, "Match #
   123:", followed by relevant text.  Since I don't know ahead of
   time how many matches there will be in the source document,
   somehow the stylesheet needs to keep a count.  Something like:

   <?xml version="1.0"?>
   <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
     <xsl:output method="text"/>
     <xsl:template match="/*">
	   <xsl:if test="@col">
	 Match # n : <!-- n is the nth match, the thing that needs to
   be incremented -->
	 Collection: "<xsl:value-of select="@col"/>"
	 Content: <xsl:value-of select="."/>

how can n ever be anything other than 1 in this example.
you are matching on /* and there is always exactly one
element which is a child of the root of a well formed XML document.
So it seems like n is 1 if that element has a col attribute and 0
otherwise, or your example was not representative of what you intended.

information visit or alternatively call