RE: [xsl] Creating Multiple Files from One Input File (fwd)

Subject: RE: [xsl] Creating Multiple Files from One Input File (fwd)
From: "Michael Kay" <mhkay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 09:42:05 +0100
> Using MSIE6-client-side and JS I send (POST) multiple XML
> strings back to
> the server for storage as files.  It is not an extension but
> it can be done.
> How would they implement this client-side otherwise? How would we get
> permission to write to the client without some kind of
> activeX (which is
> another way).

I've had this debate a number of times with Microsoft people. I think
there's a confusion between generating multiple result trees and serializing
them to disk. Generating multiple result trees is just as feasible
client-side as anywhere else. The thing that's difficult client-side
(especially, e.g. in a diskless set-top-box) is serializing even a single
result tree to disk. But multiple result trees can be useful even without
disk-based serialization, e.g. they could be made available directly to the
application as in memory DOM Documents, for writing to multiple windows or
frames on the user display device. Someone else suggested that they could be
written to the browser cache.

Mike Kay