Re: [xsl] Passing through character entities intact

Subject: Re: [xsl] Passing through character entities intact
From: "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 16:42:47 -0400
[McCollum , Angus]

> How do you take a character entity in an input document and pass it
through
> to the output document as an entity(i.e. without any change)?

Basically, you can't.  By "character entitiy" I take it you mean "character
reference".  These are handled by the parser before any xslt processing
takes place, so there is nothing you can do about them with the xsl.  It is
possible that a serializer might have to output character references because
of the output encoding, but that is not the same as passing the references
through.

Most people would be asking why you think you need the character references
passed  through anyway?

Cheers,

Tom P