Re: [xsl] Text output

Subject: Re: [xsl] Text output
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 17:32:05 -0400
At 04:52 PM 10/10/01, Joerg wrote:
Shouldn't it be &#x20; for space? ...

> While outputting XML as text I am getting the Character "Â"  where I have
> indicated a space with <xsl:text>&#xa0;</xsl:text>. Is there anyway to
> avoid this?

&#x20; for a space, &#xa0; for a non-breaking space (otherwise &#160;).

Kevin -- it's not that it's outputting this, it's that the software you're using to view it doesn't know that it's looking at Unicode. This is fixed by

(a) configuring your software to know it's Unicode,
(b) trading in the non-Unicode software for something that can deal with XML's native character set, or
(c) using an XSLT processor and setting it to give you output your software can see (for example, a common character set is iso-8859-1).

So what are you looking at when you see the "Â"? Windows Notepad? A different text editor? A browser?

This is a FAQ, btw -- check out the archives.

Cheers,
Wendell