Re: [xsl] Passing through character entities intact

Subject: Re: [xsl] Passing through character entities intact
From: Colin Paul Adams <colin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12 Oct 2001 08:19:15 +0100

    >> This is impossible to achieve - mdash is not supported by ISO
    >> 8859-1.  Output as UTF-8 - most web browsers support that now.

    David> No. In XML numeric character references (and entity
    David> references defined in terms of these) may denote _any_
    David> unicode character, by unicode number, irrespective of the
    David> encoding used for characters in the document.  So even if
    David> you have a latin1 (or us-ascii) encoded file you can still
    David> refer to &mdash; as being the appropriate character.

You may refer to it, but it doesn't do you any good, as it is not
possible to display the character in an iso-8859-1 font. And I haven't
seen a browser clever enough (actually, I've never seen a browser that
was even half-clever) to say - ah! mdash - let me see - a hyphen
should do the trick - I'll display that.
--
Colin Paul Adams
Preston Lancashire