Re: [xsl] keys and idrefs - XSLT2 request?

Subject: Re: [xsl] keys and idrefs - XSLT2 request?
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 19:27:18 +0100

> Better get terminology right here..
oops sorry I'll wash my mouth out with soap:-)
yes that's what I meant.

> As soon as you get above that, as far as I can see you *have* to have
> a full schema engine. That includes getting attribute default/fixed
> values, being able to work out whether an attribute is an ID attribute
> and so on, things that we have already with DTD validation, as well as
> the XML Schema-specific stuff about knowing what type everything is
> and which types they're derived from and so on.

well yes and no.
If you (and I) want to have some kind of mini schema type assignment
within xslt then that means some kind of minimal support for
prim^H^H^Hbuilt in types. However you could support defaulted attributes
and even maybe user defined complex types to a certain amount just by
taking a PSVI as input, from your mythical PSVI enhanced SAX stream.
If the PSVI says that some element has a value defaulted by the schema
and has type xx:yy then it is maybe possible to imagine accessing both
the defaulted value and the type in XPath just essentially as a label
without it having to know anything deep about how types are structured,
inherit etc.

> To be fair, the xsl-editors list is a lot less full of spam than the
> www-xml-query-comments list.
yes it was the latter I last used and probably had in mind:-)

David