[xsl] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Call Template with variable name

Subject: [xsl] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Call Template with variable name
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 12:31:29 -0700 (PDT)

> >>Just thought that one of the techniques I am using in my "stylefree
> >>stylesheets" can apply here...
> >>

> > Eric, the technique you're describing is 100% the same as the one used in
generic
> > templates.
>

> Arg. I should read more slowly, the introduction had let me think this
> would me much more complex than what I was proposing!
>
> > The only minor difference is that you're passing as parameter the name of
> > the template to be instantiated (and this could lead to some unwanted naming
> > resolution problems when templates are being imported), while when using generic
> > templates one passes just the unique node, which is uniquely matched by the
template
> > to be instantiated.
>

> That's a good point.
>
> I don't think you are using the information that may be conveyed by what
> I have called the "hooks", though and I think there is, here, a
> possibility to pass useful info to the template in a less verbose way
> than using an additional parameter.

No "additional" parameter is used with generic templates. Regardless whether "hooks"
or generic templates are used, the data that is used to uniquely identify the node
(and the template that will match it) -- this data must be the value of some
variable or parameter.

In your examples you're using the $abc variable, and it serves the same purpose as
the template reference parameter, passed to a generic template.

Also, I'm using the assumption that the authors of the generic template and the
templates that use (call) it are completely different persons, most probably not
knowing anything about each other. Therefore, generic templates will come handy in
writing applications to be used as a base for the development of other applications
-- e.g standard template libraries.

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev.