Re: [xsl] keys and idrefs - XSLT2 request?

Subject: Re: [xsl] keys and idrefs - XSLT2 request?
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 10:48:43 +0100
Jeni

> First, any access to the PSVI is going to mean a schema-validating
> parser of some description.

Yes, but i'm reasonably happy for XSLT to be able to use information
from a schema parser if one is used (just as it can use id() and
defaulted attributes from a dtd parser) but I would like to see core
functionality like sorting/arithmetic on datatypes to be available
without requiring that, so stylesheets may be written to work whether or
not the schema validator is used, just as now by using keys and explicit
xsl:attribute a stylesheet may be written to avoid dependency on dtd
processing.

> Second, if the XSLT processor only has access to information about
> individual types, and not what they're derived from, then it will be
> unable to do some useful and intuitive reasoning. For example, if I
> define a priceType type derived from xs:decimal,

well yes, if the schema's being used then probably you'll need all this
information, but that seems an argument not to go down that line
and instead have a mechanism just to declare in the stylesheet that your
attribute (or element) should be processed as xs:decimal.
(actually, for xs:decimal one would hope that default coersions from
string would do the right thing, but other types such as qname or date,
this would be useful)

David