Re: [xsl] RE: XSL-List Digest V3 #1175

Subject: Re: [xsl] RE: XSL-List Digest V3 #1175
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 15:42:03 +0100
> Given that an XML document may have an attribute indicating the schema
> location, and given that that schema may be an XSD (ie XML) file - it
> strikes me as entirely possible to create a callable (library?) XSLT
> template to read that schema document - and thus to populate default
> entities in the live document.
> The whole thing can be pure XML/XSLT.

XSLT 1.0  could read the schema but it would be a major task to program many
of the schema processing rules required without having explicit schema
extensions in XSLT 2/XPath 2. Supporting the built in datatypes requires
at least a regexp handler and some date arithmetic, neither of which is
much fun to code in XSLT. Conversely (as shown by schematron) much of
the functionality of the structural constraints from schema part 1 could
be equivalently coded in XSLT.

David