Re: [xsl] keys and idrefs - XSLT2 request?

Subject: Re: [xsl] keys and idrefs - XSLT2 request?
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 17:34:29 +0100
> which is presumably precisely what an XSLT 2.0 implementor
> would want to hear.

well yes or no, until we see at least a draft of 2.0 it's all just
uninformed guess work (well some of us have w3c access so can have
slightly informed guesswork, but can't use that information while
guessing in public, so it comes to the same thing:-)

But basically it's not implementation issues that concern me (been a
mathematician too long:-) it's that I can't really see what use the
structures part of schema would be to XSLT, so I don't know why
supporting it is a MUST requirement for XSLT 2.0.

That's not to say I think schema are bad (as you may have seen on schema
list I'm currently trying to recast the dtds that I maintain into
schema) but that I can't see when I would want to use any structural
information in a stylesheet, once I know that the instance is schema
valid.

Knowing an attribute is a date is good, I'd hope to use date arithmetic
in XPath 2, but I can't imagine ever wanting to (for example) match
elements by some complex schema type rather than name. I want the
complex types to validate the document, but once I know the document is
valid I just want to match on element names (don't I?) Perhaps I don't
and there are real use cases, and I just need to be educated....

David