Re: [xsl] schema-1 (was something about keys, a long while ago)

Subject: Re: [xsl] schema-1 (was something about keys, a long while ago)
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 00:06:02 +0100
> But that's not the whole picture,
You mean, there's life outside xsl-list? Heresy!

> I certainly don't want to have to map a Java object hierarchy
> explicitly in the XSLt and in the schema!

in my last message I did actually draft a suggestion that you could
easily pull out this mapping from the schema instance using xslt 1.0
features, and generate your actual working stylesheet from that,
but Jeni in a parallel thread pointed out that this was just the
typical sort of game of the sad people on this list were happy to do
but that normal folks had a right to some system support for this,
so I pulled the paragraph before posting, but see now you've provoked me
to post it anyway.

Hmm Don't know, I'll have to think about it. And that's really the
worry that started this thread. We're told that XSLT x.y is delayed while
they sort out schema support (amongst other things) and that seems like
a big job and its not at all clear it's really worth the wait when
xslt 1.1 minus any bits of it that were contentious wouldn't have been a
wait at all and provided some immediately useful functionality.

But I'm not really complaining, I know from recent experience that
drafting W3C specs isn't always a trivial task, and we had a lot less
people hassling us from the outside (not necessarily fewer potential
users, just that mathematicans are naturally patient polite souls, and
don't really hassle:-)

David