Re: [xsl] How to read the encoding of an XML document

Subject: Re: [xsl] How to read the encoding of an XML document
From: James Garriss <jpgarriss@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 09:44:12 -0400
At 05:41 PM 10/24/2001 -0400, Wendell Piez wrote:

>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>

What XSL do I use to read the value of the encoding attribute?

You can't. It's not an attribute. (And it's not in a processing instruction. It's in the XML declaration, which is formally not part of the document, but only helps the parser know what to expect.)

Well, that would explain my failure to extract the data. :-)

Why do you want to know the encoding? Someone might have another approach to the problem.

I am getting XML documents from multiple European countries. I am expecting that some or all of them will use different encoding sets, depending upon their language. I would like to use XSL to transform the documents, both to XML and HTML.

In XML, I was planning to have the same encoding set that was found in the original document.

In HTML, I was planning to use the same encoding set in the META tag, so the browser knows how to display it.

< HEAD >
< META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" >
< /HEAD >

--James Garriss