RE: [xsl] adding an attribute

Subject: RE: [xsl] adding an attribute
From: "Michael Kay" <mhkay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:52:13 +0100
>  Can I add an attribute to the current node just by specifying the
> "<xsl:attribute>"
> tag?.

Technically, the current node is in the source document, and you can't
modify the source document. But I think you mean something like "the current
output node", which isn't actually correct terminology, but the concept is
clear enough.

  Let me explain,  if I have the  named template as
> defined below:
>
>   <xsl:template name = "buildChildrenTree">
>         <xsl:attribute name = "visit">yes</xsl:attribute>
> </xsl:template>
>
> and the current node is "fo" when  the template is invoked, Can I just
> add a "visit" attribute to it by just saying
>
>         "<xsl:attribute name = "visit">yes</xsl:attribute>"
>
> and end up with something like "<fo visit ="yes" ..."
>
> I get an error from XALAN
> "visit has an illegal attribute: {1}"

When I get an incomprehensible error message out of one XML parser or XSLT
processor, my usual strategy is to try another and see what that has to say
on the matter. The error isn't in the bit of XSLT you've shown us.

Mike Kay