Re: [xsl] How to read the encoding of an XML document

Subject: Re: [xsl] How to read the encoding of an XML document
From: James Garriss <jpgarriss@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 15:52:25 -0400
At 04:29 PM 10/25/2001 -0400, Thomas B. Passin wrote:

Yes.  At least, any xml processor would be able to handle either utf-8 or
utf-16.  What may be displayed by a browser or word processor, though (if
you transform it into a displayable document), is another question.  utf-8
might be a better choice depending on what is going to consume it.

"Christopher R. Maden" <crism@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> All XML parsers are required to read UTF-8 and UTF-16 data.

They are required to read, but what character encoding sets are they required to save to?

I am using Xalan-J 1.0.0 and Xerces-J 1.0.3 (with JRE 1.2), but when I have this in my XSL:

< xsl:output indent="no" method="xml" encoding="UTF-16"/ >

I get the following error:

org.apache.xalan.xslt.XSLProcessorException: Unsupported encoding: UTF-16

Can anyone confirm for me that Xerces does not support UTF-16?

Of course this isn't the most current version of Xerces. Maybe I need to upgrade?

--James