Re: [xsl] Question of performance

Subject: Re: [xsl] Question of performance
From: Jay Kline <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 18:36:14 -0600
The "preprocessing" is all that really needs to be done.  It is a log file
(in XML format) and I only want to display records that meet specific
conditions.  So initally there isnt any back and forth. Regardless, it is
somewhat unreasonable to load the entire file into memory. Does saxon, xslt,
or any other processor have the capibility of "streaming" where there would
be no back and forth (and not load the entire file into memory at once)?

Jay

On Wednesday 31 October 2001 02:41 pm, you wrote:
> The xslt processor might have to go back and forth within the xml document,
> so any approach except having it all in memory would be very tricky.  Like
> sorting a very large file that can't be sorted all in memory, it could be
> done, but the xslt processors aren't at that point yet.
>
> Perhaps you can preprocess your xml file into smaller pieces, then combine
> the results afterwards.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom P
>
> [Jay Kline]
>
> > I have a fairly large (41 KB) xsl document that is of course used for
> > processing xml documents.
>
> Along the same lines, I have a really big (200Mb+) XML document that needs
> be parsed by a small (10 or so lines) XSL document on a Windows machine.  I
> have tried the Microsoft COM object in some VBScript, but it seems to want
> load the entire XML document into memory, and if much of anything else is
> running on the system it more or less pukes, and at the very least takes
> several minutes just loading the document before any processing begins.  Is
> there a better way of doing this? Java is not installed on the system,
> though
> we are not opposed to doing so if there is better performance.

Jay Kline
list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.slushpupie.com
--
Increased knowledge will help you now.  Have mate's phone bugged.