Re: [xsl] string replace with ­

Subject: Re: [xsl] string replace with ­
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 13:44:21 GMT
> This problem arose here because I have a single XSLT file outputting
> multiple HTML and XML files.  It looks like I can only set the
> xsl:output parameters once, as opposed to setting them for each
> specific output file.

If you are doing multiple file output then you must be using an
extension element. Most processor's extension elements for this take the
same attributes as xsl:output to allow encoding and doctype to be
specified.

> Perhaps this is just a design problem on my part but how do people
> handle outputting multiple files that are different types (XML, HTML)
> from a single XSL file?
saxon and xt (at least) allow  method="xml" method="text" etc on their
extension elements.

> Should I be using multiple XSL files so that I can properly manage the output
> file types?

according to the xslt 1.0 rec, yes, but multiple file output is almost
certain (I think) to make it into a later xslt release, so there doesn't
seem much wrong in using an extension to do this.

> I have been avoiding that since it would require reading the input XML file multiple
> times.

Not necessarily. With some APIs you can parse the document and re-apply
different stylesheets, or the same stylesheet with different parameters
without reparsing. Certainly this is the norm in the msxml world, where
there is (currently at least) no extension element for multiple file
output.

David