Re: [xsl] PHP integration with XSLT

Subject: Re: [xsl] PHP integration with XSLT
From: Alessio Mazzieri <mazzieri@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 11:07:39 +0100

cutlass wrote:

this is a cocoon specific problem, possibly u may have to supply the correct
media type with <xsl:output/> tag though, but in general i would suggest
asking the nice folks over at cocoon.

Ok, I've tried to specify the correct media type using

<xsl:output method="html" media-type="application/x-httpd-php"/>

but, as I've seen in the Cocoon FAQ some time ago, the xsl:output is dropped by the XSLT transformer (using Cocoon).
For this reason, the output is produced as it was a text/html media-type encoded...
In every case, Apache is unable to recognize the type of document from the included media-type specification.

there is also the problem that a mixed processing may generate invalid
xml/xslt.

I'm sure my XSLT produce a legal XML[HTML] output.

one way of getting around this is to create a generic PHP handler that sends
possibly a HTTP call to a url that cocoon parses and gets the xslt result
then evals that code.

Ok, I've done this. But this approach to the problem cause two related substantial problems:

  1. The client must request documents like xxxxx.php (then, the PHP
     script send the HTTP call to Cocoon, retrieve the transformed
     document and process the PHP result, including the generated file)
     and not like xxxxx .xml (that's the thing I want!)
  2. The overall functionality and lightness of the transformation
     process is strongly degraded, because the entire process require
     3/4 transformation of an original document...

I'm sure that other people have encountered the same problem...
Thanx for your help.

Alessio Mazzieri