Re: [xsl] Counting Nodes

Subject: Re: [xsl] Counting Nodes
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 09:50:07 GMT
> Is the following expression legal?

No, because // is not legal as a complete expression, and therefore as
an argument to |

> The main stumbling block being the "//" by itself.

exactly.

> Usually, they work separately (i.e. count(//) and count(//@*) ),

the second of those is fine, if the first one is not being reported as
an error report it as a bug in whichever processor you are using.

You want //node()

>  but there are sections which suggest that I can use it as a
> node set,
no it's short for
/descendent-or-self/node()/
but that is not legal on its own either as it has a trailing /

David