Re: [xsl] Mysterious 'invalid character'

Subject: Re: [xsl] Mysterious 'invalid character'
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 18:02:34 GMT
> My file is well-formed and valid against the DTD when I check it (within
> XMLSpy). No error message there.

are you sure that isn't also using the same msxml parser with the same bug?

> What am I supposed to look for?

a character in the ascii control range below space (32) that
isn't a tab (9) carrage return or line feed (10 or 13).

Any reasonable editor will show these in some form or other.

Also try a different parser, for example the excellent (and free) rxp
parser says, if I try to add a control-B to a file:

   $ rxp -s bad.xml
   Error: illegal character <0x2> immediately before file offset 11
   I/O error on stream <file:///c:/tmp/bad.xml>, ignore further errors

which tells you what the bad character is (#x02) and where it is (11
characters into the file)

rxp is a trivial download/install or you can run it online (on small
examples, to be kind to their server:-)

http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~richard/rxp.html

David