[xsl] Re: RE: Dumb questions from a newbie

Subject: [xsl] Re: RE: Dumb questions from a newbie
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 01:27:43 -0800 (PST)
> > > My question is about being able to write xsl to pull data out of
> > mdb
> > > files?  Is this possible?
> >
> > mdb is Microsoft Access I assume?
>
> Yes.
>
> I have multiple files that make up my documents. The mdb files can or
> could go to active web pages seperately or accessed by search engines
> through the final document. Other parts of the document are different
> in nature (such is the EAD coder life). I don't want to get locked
> into using Access and its HTML creations. The coding seems very
> microsoft dependent in their web pages. There is more to data than
> databases that is the beauty of XML.
>
> Thanks for the info, I will get on the list and ask about it.

In case you don't want to get locked into using Access and its HTML creations, then
an alternative approach (assuming the Access files do not change during the run-time
of your application) would be to convert the necessary tables completely to XML.
Then just process these XML files.

A nice application exists that's doing exactly this -- "AccessXML" by John Dunning.
It can be downloaded from:
http://vbxml.com/downloads/default.asp?id=v20011118627

The source code demonstrates how the conversion to xml is performed.

It can also be used to generate a DTD or Schema for any table in the .mdb database.

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev.