[xsl] Re:   is being displayed as Á

Subject: [xsl] Re:   is being displayed as Á
From: "Swen Thuemmler" <Swen.Thuemmler@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 11:06:50 +0100 (CET)
On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Brinkman, Theodore wrote:

> And, how would you suggest someone actually get '&nbsp;' into the output in
> order to avoid  the issue which started this thread in the first place?
> (browsers assuming a different encoding type than is sent, and therefore
> mistranslating character 160 as 'Á' instead of ' '?  I have yet to see a
> browser which misunderstands '&nbsp;'.

You could use <xsl:output method="html" encoding="us-ascii"/>

This should solve most output encoding problems (assuming your XSL
processor supports US-ASCII, but most do). This way, &#160; will be output
as either &nbsp; or &#160; which all browsers recognize (I've not seen any
browser which does not recognize it). The drawback is, that all characters
which are not in US-ASCII are encoded as either HTML-Entities or numeric
Entities.

--Swen