Re: [xsl] conditional namespaces

Subject: Re: [xsl] conditional namespaces
From: Trevor Nash <tcn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 17:24:22 +0000
>We  are a bit puzzled by the results we get from saxon and xalan when we
>try to generate XML with a xslt file in which the attribute on the root
>element is a varaibel as well as it's value and the namespace.

You have introduced a namespace into the stylesheet without
associating it with a prefix, so the XSLT processor is obliged to
invent one.  Different processors use different algorithms to do so.
It makes no difference to the validity of the output: when it comes to
namespaces its the URI that counts, not the prefix.

If a namespace has a prefix associated with it either in the input or
in the stylesheet processors will often use this prefix in the output.
But this is merely a feature, and isn't required by the XSLT spec.

Regards,
Trevor Nash
--
Traditional training & distance learning,
Consultancy by email

Melvaig Software Engineering Limited
voice:     +44 (0) 1445 771 271
email:     tcn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx