[xsl] can the document( ) function refer to a DOM object in memory?

Subject: [xsl] can the document( ) function refer to a DOM object in memory?
From: "Spinelli, Frank" <Frank.Spinelli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 11:15:29 -0600
We are using Xalan, and are building (or assembling)  the XSLT style sheet
programatically.

Then the generated style sheet then is passed to the Xalan xslt processor as
a DOM object.

Whenever this style sheet uses a document( ) function, we want this to work
exactly the same as if the same style sheet were being processed in a stand
alone transformation initiated from the command line, where the style sheet
has been input as a file.

The purpose of the document( ) function, in this situation, is to read data
that is contained within the style sheet, itself.

It works fine if, in the Java program, we first write (i.e., serialize) the
programmatically generated xslt style sheet to the file system, then use
setSystemId( ) to inform the Xslt process of the URI to access the style
sheet in the file system, and proceed with the transformation.

My question -- is it possible to avoid writing the style sheet to the file
system, which seems necessary in order to have a valid, physical URI to use
with the setSystemID( ) step, so that the document( ) function in its turn
can access it?

Is it possible to have setSyetemID( ) refer directly to the DOM object
version of the style sheet already in memory?  Or to accomplish this result
in some other way?

Thanks,
Frank S.