Re: [xsl] Use of XSLT to Transform XFORMS...

Subject: Re: [xsl] Use of XSLT to Transform XFORMS...
From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 11:12:20 +0000
Hi Edward,

> Does anybody have any experience of Transforming XFORMS XML to
> create XHTML using XSLT. Indeed is there a stylesheet available as I
> guess I am not the only person trying to do this.

I've done a partial and basic stylesheet for this for a book chapter
(the book isn't out yet, I'm afraid, and I'd need to check with the
publisher to see if I can make the stylesheet available).

XForms is pretty powerful, so I don't know how far you need/want to go
with it:

 - creating HTML equivalents of the form controls
 - creating HTML versions of captions, help, hints and so on
 - getting default values from the instance data
 - constructing new instance data as the form controls are completed
 - evaluating the XPath expressions on the xforms:bind elements to work
   out whether form controls should be relevant/required etc.
 - using the XML Schema information to validate the values input on
   the form fields
 - interpreting the xforms:action elements to add event handlers to
   the form controls

I only got as far as the first couple of steps (the easy ones!), but
have ideas about how to achieve the rest (using MSXML4, though
actually it would probably be possible with Xalan/Saxon and Xerces as
well), which I'd be happy to discuss.

Cheers,

Jeni

---