RE: Regular expression functions (Was: Re: [xsl] comments on Dece mber F&O draft)

Subject: RE: Regular expression functions (Was: Re: [xsl] comments on Dece mber F&O draft)
From: "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsberger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 11:19:26 -0600
> > It's just another way of matching templates, not a whole new concept???

> well it depends if you want to merge with apply-templates on text nodes
> or whether you want to keep the normal templates on text nodes and have
> these doing something else (I think)

I suppose having two attributes could be troublesome: what happens if they
are both specified?  Then again, that could be really powerful (talk about
opening your self up to non-intuitive behavior!)  However, if you need to
separate out the behaviors I think modes would work just fine?  All your
regex cases might end up using the same mode, but at least you don't have to
specify yet another tag...

> anyway it wasn't a fully worked out proposal, i hadn't even seen it
> written down before I stared replying to jeni's email, it just slipped
> out:-)
>
> However I think something along those lines could be made workable.

I haven't had the time to follow the whole discussion, but I hadn't seen
anything along the lines of what you proposed before.  It looked interesting
enough that I actually had to stop and reply.  I do suspect something like
this could be useful.

Peter Hunsberger