[xsl] Re: mapping (Was: Re: Re: . in for)

Subject: [xsl] Re: mapping (Was: Re: Re: . in for)
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 00:15:17 -0800 (PST)
Jeni Tennison <jeni at jenitennison dot com> wrote:

[snip]

> Or if you just don't like the -> then there are still a few ASCII
> characters left, and several interesting combinations of them, or
> there's always a word (or two) as the operator, like 'map':
>
>   $departments map lower-case(.)
>
> and:
>
>   $coordinates map (. * 2)
>                map if (position() mod 2) then . + 50 else .

Hi Jeni,

As I already pointed out in my reply to Dave,

>   $departments map lower-case(.)

would be ambiguous, as lower-case(.) is a value/string (the result of the
application of lower-case() on .

What map needs is a function (or at least an expression). Therefore, a more correct
and unambiguous way to present the above is:

   $departments map expression('lower-case(.)')

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev.