Re: [xsl] passing in a variable to the DOCUMENT()

Subject: Re: [xsl] passing in a variable to the DOCUMENT()
From: "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 12:16:11 -0500
[Todd Binder]

> I am trying to passing a variable into DOCUMENT() within XSL, and having
no
> success.
>
> <xsl:variable name="xmlfile" select="gfile">
> where xmlfile would then represent the complete filepath of the XML file
> (path + filename.xml)
>
> then when I try to use the following
>
> <xsl:variable name="datafile" select="document($xmlfile)"/>
>
> I am not getting anything, and my XSL transoformation stops.
>
> Is this allowed?  I know that I can use successfully
> <xsl:variable name="datafile"
> select="document('../cgi-bin/xml/thisdatafile.xml')"/>
>
> I have tried it with both xsl:variable and xsl:apply-templates, but
neither
> appear to allow me to pass in a variable to the document().

It is allowed and I have done it successfully.  But... if you are using an
absolute  instead of a relative path, you probably need to specify file:///
in front of the path, since document()  expects a uri .  Then, if you are on
Windows, there could be some question about using back-slashes vs.
forward-slashes, and so on.  Some experimentation would be in order.

Cheers,

Tom P