Re: [xsl] which XML parser is the fastest?

Subject: Re: [xsl] which XML parser is the fastest?
From: "Steve Muench" <Steve.Muench@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 11:20:23 +0100
If you're using our 9.0.2 XDK for Java release from our
OTN site, I think you'll find Oracle's implementation to
be one the fastest Java implementation around.

http://otn.oracle.com/software/tech/xml/xdk_java/

In the 9.0.2 release, we've done significant XPath performance
optimizations that should be noticeable in your XSLT transformation
times.

Of course it's always worth a side-by-side comparison, so if
you find a Java implementation that's faster for you testcase,
please email me your files since we'd like to investigate why
we're not the fastest, if that turns out to be the case.

My experience is that slow XSLT transformations typically are
a result of the user's using inadvertant "//" in patterns. For
example, I've seen lots of users do:

   <xsl:value-of select="//customer/name"/>

when what they *REALLY* meant was:

   <xsl:value-of select=".//customer/name"/>

or even worse if what they really meant was:

   <xsl:value-of select="customer/name"/>

You might search your stylesheet for "//" and make sure
if you use that anywhere, you're using it correctly.

Thanks.

Steve Muench - Developer, Product Manager, XML Evangelist, Author
"Simplifying J2EE and EJB Development with BC4J"
http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev/htdocs/j2ee_with_bc4j/j2ee_with_bc4j.html
"Building Oracle XML Applications" - www.oreilly.com/catalog/orxmlapp