Re: [xsl] Unicode usage

Subject: Re: [xsl] Unicode usage
From: "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 10:13:11 -0500
[Julian Reschke]

> No, I'm saying that the encoding is completely irrelevant, as long the
> encoding declaration and the *actual* encoding match. Wrong declarations
are
> the problem, because if the declaration doesn't match the encoding, the
user
> agent will do the wrong thing for non-ASCII characters (ignoring EBCDIC
for
> a moment :-).

Yes, there have been a lot of utf-8 or default encoding declarations when
the encoding was iso-8859-x, to call out a common case.  I was under the
impression that, at least on Win95/98, that you could still have the wrong
high-order characters displayed even with correct encoding declarations.
But maybe I'm wrong here...

[me]
> > That would seem logical, but I don't think it always happens.  I think
it
> > depends on the version of Windows you have and which application you
use.
> > Just think of all those posts to this list where an accented character
> > displayed as something else.  We usually tell them that the character is

Cheers,

Tom P