MSXML encoding (was RE: [xsl] Unicode usage)

Subject: MSXML encoding (was RE: [xsl] Unicode usage)
From: "Jacoby, Peter R." <PJACOBY@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 14:26:32 -0500
>>If XML Cooktop (which I've never used) has the same bug as XML Spy,
>>then it has trouble with MSXML's transformNode method, which always
>>transforms to UTF-16 regardless of the <xsl:output> element. That would
>>cause what you've been seeing.

I've had problems with this as well.  Is there a workaround to enable MSXML to
recognize the encoding attribute of the <xsl:output> element?  I end up just
omitting the xml declaration which works, but is not an elegant solution.  I'm
still using version 3.0, does this change at all in 4.0?  What's even stranger
is that IE 5.5 does not know how to read xml encoded with UTF-16, even though
that is the only thing their parser will produce.

Thanks.

-Peter