Re: [xsl] Javascript inside XSL(Just when I think I understand)

Subject: Re: [xsl] Javascript inside XSL(Just when I think I understand)
From: Joerg Pietschmann <joerg.pietschmann@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 09:48:40 +0100
"Gene LaCava" <e.f.lacava@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Can anyone help me I'm really at a loss.....
> I have narrowed my error down to this chunk of javascript code  inside my

Well, it's not the java script.

> XSL file... The orginal message is below....The error is the same
>
> Error loading XSL Document :
> - ----------------------------
> Error Code : -1072896766
> Reason : A string literal was expected, but no opening quote character was
> found.

The error message is telling. First:
 "Error loading..."
A hint that the parser had difficulties. This means: the XSL document is
not valid XML. As i suppose you don't validate, this means it is not
well-formed XML.

> Reason : A string literal was expected

Read carefully through the XML spec where string literals are expected...
Spoiler space
 .
 .
 .
 .
 .
 .
 .
 .
Correct! It most likely means "Attribute values" here.

> ...but no opening quote character was found.

Ergo: you have an Attribute value which doesn't start with a " or ',
or in other words, there is an unquoted attribute. This is valid HTML
but not valid in XML (or XSL for that matter).

Now, after you discovered what the error message actually says, search
for /=[ ]*[^"']/ and you get the culprit:

> BAD CODE SEGMENT

> cellpadding="0">
                              ^^
There may be more of this kind of errors.

HTH
J.Pietschmann