RE: [xsl] exclude-result-prefixes and xsl:copy issue

Subject: RE: [xsl] exclude-result-prefixes and xsl:copy issue
From: "Michael Kay" <michael.h.kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 14:22:42 -0000
> Hi,
> there is a note about exclude-result-prefixes in the XSLT spec:
> > NOTE: ... specifying the prefix
> > in the [xsl:]exclude-result-prefixes attribute will avoid
> > superfluous namespace declarations in the result tree.
> (Quote intentional snipped)

I think that this facility was explicitly designed to fix the problem of
copying unwanted namespace nodes from the stylesheet when using literal
result elements. I've no idea whether anyone ever considered generalizing it
to avoid the copying of namespaces from the source document. As you point
out, there is a different solution in that case (using xsl:element).

The note needs to be read in context: it's part of the section on literal
result elements.

Mike Kay