Re: [xsl] Problems with characters

Subject: Re: [xsl] Problems with characters
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 03:10:17 -0700 (MST)
Ragulf Pickaxe wrote:
> Well, actually I do seem to have more problems because I deleted a comment
> in the second stylesheet and it suddently worked, showing the right
> characters(!).

Luck :)

> Then I tried oppening a new window, not changing anything, and it showed it
> wrongly (again).

See? :)

> Aarrrrgh!
>
> I think Mike Brown is right that I have to trace the data from it's source
> to the output, but with this kind of behavior...?

I can only repeat what I said. There are so many possible points of failure.
Databases are notoriously bad when it comes to proper and easy-to-utilize
support for Unicode and arbitrarily-encoded text.

Most problems will go away if people stop treating encoded text as text, and
instead think of it as opaque binary bit streams that must be decoded
according to some character map that is either externally known or is
self-declared in the data itself (as XML files do). Unfortunately, databases
and their interfaces tend not to do that in a consistent and friendly
manner...

   - Mike