[xsl] Stylesheet parameters

Subject: [xsl] Stylesheet parameters
From: Curtis Burisch <burisch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 16:29:34 +0000
Hi,

I recently spent a few hours trying to get stylesheet parameters
working from within Xalan-C++, using the command-line utility TestXSLT.
exe. Eventually I got it right; however I think I should share what I'
ve learnt.

The parameter is specified on the command-line:

testxslt -param testparam expression

Of course you can have as many -param switches as you like. The problem
I came up against was that I didn't realise that the param value is an *
expression*. I was trying to pass a constant value in. The expression
you need in that case is "'const value'" -- note both double and single
quotation marks.

The XSL which demonstrates this param:

<xsl:stylesheet
version="1.0">
<xsl:param name="testparam">Default</xsl:param>
<xsl:template match="/">
<test>
<xsl:value-of select="$testparam"/>
</test>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

The commandline I used:

testxslt -in in.xml -out out.xml -xsl test.xsl -param testparam "'moo
moo'"

The output I obtained:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<test>moo moo</test>

Also note the fact that you can have spaces in your parameter value
using this method.

Regards,
Curtis.