Re: [xsl] How can I use external variables for transforming XML into another format

Subject: Re: [xsl] How can I use external variables for transforming XML into another format
From: "Joerg Heinicke" <joerg.heinicke@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 20:27:22 +0100
Hello Anna,

at first the general way. The way the variable comes to your stylesheet is
dependent on your processor or your framework. I can only give you an
example, here Xalan commandline:

java org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process -IN foo.xml -XSL foo.xsl -OUT
oo.out  -PARAM name value

Now in the stylesheet you have to write a global <xsl:param
name="name">default</xsl:param>.

In your case I can't recommend this way. You need one large stylesheet which
has all templates for FO and HTML in it or includes all other stylesheets.
But FO and HTML are to different. In my eyes it's the best way to have a
foo2fo.xsl and a foo2html.xsl and these two stylesheets (or more if you need
more output formats) include all needed stylesheets, so maybe common ones
for FO and HTML. Have a look at DocBook
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/docbook/) in the XSL-version. They have
very modular stylesheets for FO and HTML and use common ones too.

Regards,

Joerg