Re: [xsl] XPath perfomance in attributes or nodes?

Subject: Re: [xsl] XPath perfomance in attributes or nodes?
From: Hans Huber <hans.huber@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 16:00:54 +0100
Hi,

I have read of your discussion about performance of different ways to achieve the same result with xslt.

If you are interested in the treshold above which the use of a key() function would improve performance it is very helpful to check your transformation by means of a profiler.

We have developed such a tool and it is available for free on the web site http://www.xslprofiler.org

I hope this may be useful for you.

Cheers,

Hans.

Jonathan Perret wrote:

I would like to ask the XSLT implementors on this list whether their
processors build keys lazily (i.e. on the first use of the key() function),
or does <xsl:key> have a cost even when the key is not used later ?
When is the cost of building the index offset by the performance gain ?

For example, suppose the input is 10000 elements like so :

<doc>
<elt att="1">
</elt>
<elt att="2">
</elt>
<elt att="3">
</elt>
</doc>

and there is an external parameter that gives the stylesheet
an attribute value to look for. Which would be faster :

<xsl:key name="idx" match="elt" use="@att" />
<xsl:param name="param" />

<xsl:template ...>
    <xsl:apply-templates select="key('idx',$param)" />

Or :

<xsl:param name="param" />

<xsl:template ...>
    <xsl:apply-templates select="/doc/elt[@att=$param]" />

Assuming the <xsl:apply-templates> above is executed
only once, it seems to me that the key-less version
should perform a bit faster. But as I have never implemented
an XSLT processor I would like to have the opinion of
masters of the subject.

Cheers,
--Jonathan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Davis" <pdavis152@xxxxxxxxx>