[xsl] regarding spaces

Subject: [xsl] regarding spaces
From: "Laura Jenkins" <xsl_list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 19:12:46 +0000

hi i have an xml file that has a an element with a value that looks like this
<college id="21">
<type>Music &amp; Arts </type>
</college>

and i am required to generate another custom made xml that will have this value of type in the following way

<univ.college>

</univ.college>

now whle i try to get the values from type
after the transformation is complete, the browser throws error saying

"Whitespace is not allowed at this location. Error processing resource"

This is because there is a space between Music and &amp;and between &amp; and Dance.. I am not able to crack this problem. PLease suggest me some way to get out of it.
regards
laura