Re: [xsl] JDK14/JDOM: generating a DOCTYPE decl. in output?

Subject: Re: [xsl] JDK14/JDOM: generating a DOCTYPE decl. in output?
From: dmkarr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (David M. Karr)
Date: 16 Mar 2002 13:39:47 -0800

    Oleg> Hello David!
    >> Warnings
    >>
    >> * Warning: No Character Encoding detected! To assure
    >> correct validation,
    >> processing, and display, it is important that the character
    >> encoding is
    >> properly labeled. Further explanations.

    Oleg> If you are validating your page from the filesystem (by uploading into w3c validator) the only 2 way validator can get info about document encoding is xml declaration for xml documents (which you supressed by omit-xml-declaration="no") and special meta tag for html (which you supressed by method="xml"). That could be not a problem in real life when you load a document from web server by http protocol, which has its own facility for document encoding declaration - Content-Type http header.

By setting "omit-xml-declaration" to "no", I thought that would NOT omit the
XML declaration.  That is, the XML declaration should have been there, right?
So far, I haven't been able to get it to generate one.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "special meta tag for html (which you
suppressed ...".  Are you saying that if I used 'method="html"', it would
automatically generate a "meta" tag?  It is not doing that, if that's what
you're saying.

At one time, I tried manually inserting the "meta" tag (although I don't
remember exactly what attributes I set), but it caused an odd symptom.  It
seemed to cause the transformation process to abort, but I don't remember
exactly what the symptoms or circumstances were.  I may try that again.

    Oleg> btw, actually you are outputting not html but xml without xml declaration:

    Oleg> <xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes" encoding="utf-8"
    Oleg>   doctype-public="-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
    Oleg>   doctype-system="http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd";
    Oleg>   omit-xml-declaration="no" />

    Oleg> And why you don't get doctype declaration in the output I don't understand, probably it's a kind of bug.

Well, yeah, that's what I'm trying to figure out.