[xsl] Normalize-space does not work for node generated from msxml:node-set function

Subject: [xsl] Normalize-space does not work for node generated from msxml:node-set function
From: "Macaulay,Malcolm (US)" <Malcolm.Macaulay2@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 18:15:10 -0600
Thanks Jeni and Gennady for the help below. That works, however I still get a strange behaviour from the node-set function:

my XML:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<XMLData>
	<ANode>
		<ChildNode>A</ChildNode>
		<ChildNode>B</ChildNode>
		<ChildNode>C</ChildNode>
	</ANode>
</XMLData>

My XSLT:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"; xmlns:msxsl="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt">
	<xsl:variable name="XSLData">
		<ANode>
			<ChildNode>A</ChildNode>
			<ChildNode>B</ChildNode>
			<ChildNode>C</ChildNode>
		</ANode>
	</xsl:variable>
	<xsl:template match="/">

		<xsl:value-of select="normalize-space(msxsl:node-set($XSLData)/ANode)"/>

		<xsl:value-of select="normalize-space(XMLData/ANode)"/>

	</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

The result is:

Normalised text from node-set function - spaces not preserved
ABC
Normalised text from XML nodes - spaces are preserved
A B C

Can anyone explain this?

Thanks in advance

cheers

Malcolm

Subject: Re: [xsl] Key function using key strings from msxsl:node-set
generated node. Doesn't work?

Hi Gennady,

> Actually it gives Person by Address node-set, not a string. If you
> use this key, you must supply an Address **element**, which is a
> child of the Person element you are looking for. You are supplying a
> string and therefore getting nothing (as it should be).

That's not exactly true. If the expression that you use in the use
attribute of xsl:key evaluates to a node set, then you get a number of
entries for the matched node, one for each node in the node set. The
*value* for these keys is still a string value, just a string value of
the node.

So in:

<xsl:key name="PersonByAddress" match="/People/Person"
         use="Address" />

then given that each Person has just one Address, the use attribute
returns a single Address element. The Person element's key value is
the string value of that Address element. It's exactly the same as
defining the key as:

<xsl:key name="PersonByAddress" match="/People/Person"
         use="string(Address)" />

Likewise, when you access a key with the key() function, the second
argument always gets converted to a string. There's no need to make
sure that the two expressions (when defining the key and when using
the key) have the same object type.

Cheers,

Jeni

---