[xsl] Re: left-trim function

Subject: [xsl] Re: left-trim function
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 12:45:27 -0800 (PST)
Robert Soesemann  (robert dot soesemann at web dot de wrote):

> Has anybody an idea how to implement an left-trim / right-trim
> function which strips out all leading chars of a string? If its not
> possible directly with standard xslt I can also use XALAN built in
> function, but I never made this.

Hi Robert,

You can just use the trim() function from FXSL.

The functional programming library FXSL can be downloaded at:

http://www.topxml.com/downloads/default.asp?id=v200231744953

It is available for the following XSLT processors: Saxon, MSXML, Xalan.
FXSL is written in pure XSLT 1.0 and only uses the vendor:node-set()
extension function. The current version is 0.2.

The main ideas behind the implementation of the FXSL library and of
functional programming in XSLT are described in the following two
articles:

"The Functional Programming Language XSLT - A proof through examples"
http://www.topxml.com/xsl/articles/fp/

and

"Dynamic Functions using FXSL: Composition, Partial Applications and
Lambda Expressions"
http://www.topxml.com/xsl/articles/df/

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev.