Re: [xsl] FOP - what, where, when, how?

Subject: Re: [xsl] FOP - what, where, when, how?
From: "Peter Drivas" <peter.drivas@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 08:35:12 -0500
On Fri, Mar 22 2002, Jim Melton wrote:

>>In fact, I have transformed some very large documents via XLST to XSLFO
and
>>then process to PDF using RenderX' Java-based XEP renderer.  On a
>>3-year-old laptop (300MHz Pentium, 256MB memory, Win2K), I can process a
>>several-hundred page document from XML to PDF in under 5 minutes, which is
>>pretty reasonable, IMHO.
>>
>>Hope this helps,
>>    Jim

Yeh, it really depends on what your customer's tolerance is. I think 5
minutes
for a several hunderd page document is good, too. A different customer may
find it
too much to bear. If you're doing on-demand web-based applications, a minute
may be too long.

Someone mentioned in this thread that the complexity of the document may
make
more of a difference in the processing speed than the length. This could
very
well be true. I haven't created any benchmarks, but I do embed a number of
fonts to process our documents which definitely affects the processing
speed.

Peter