[xsl] How to filter characters from a string?

Subject: [xsl] How to filter characters from a string?
From: Greg Faron <gfaron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 12:09:45 -0700
Hi all,

I'm practicing XSLT and decided to write my own Base 64 encoder and decoder templates. The rules for Base 64 Encoding say that only the following characters (in an encoded file) should be examined upon decoding:
<xsl:variable name="base64Map" select="'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcedfghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz01234567890+/='"/>

This means that I would like to filter out every character that is not one of the 65 above characters. I realize that I could do this partially with translate(), but then I would need to specify every possible illegal character, of which there are thousands (if you have Unicode characters in there). A smaller version of such a command would be
translate($encodedString,
$base64Map,
concat($base64Map,

Are there any templates or commands to delete any character from the first argument that DOESN'T appear in the second argument? I'm using Microsoft XSLT engine MSXSL4.

Greg Faron Integre Technical Publishing Co.