[xsl] Finding corresponding node in structurally identical sibling tree?

Subject: [xsl] Finding corresponding node in structurally identical sibling tree?
From: jcrisp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 10:38:48 +0100
Hi

(Xalan 2.3.1)

I need to quickly find the matching node to the current node which is in a parallel branch with identical structure to the branch I'm operating in. It seems like this should be really simple, but the only solution I can come up with is
a recursive template to assemble the name of the path from the branch tag down, and then compare that against the result from the same template for each node in the second tree. The trees may be of arbitrary depth. Any other ideas?

<example>
  <branch1>
     <somestuff>
         <somedeeperstuff>
             <someevendeeperstuff/> <--- Current node
         </somedeeperstuff>
     </somestuff>
  </branch1>
  <branch2>
     <somestuff>
         <somedeeperstuff>
             <someevendeeperstuff/> <--- Corresponding node I want to find
         </somedeeperstuff>
     </somestuff>
  </branch2>
 </example>

The reason we are doing this is to be able to cache a form description in the first branch.
Then any default values are placed in the second branch which means that we don't need to modify the
cached document fragment.

TIA

Joel